I am a relatively new fan of Jane Austen. I had never read any of her books or seen any of the movies until December of 2005 when I went with some friends to see the Kiera Knightly version. That was the beginning of my love for Jane's novels. I think I have now read and/or listened to all of her completed novels. This movie is the reason why. Since reading the book, I've watched the movie over and over. I've seen other versions as well. Long time fans of Pride and Prejudice will probably argue that the BBC version is better and more complete. Well, it is more complete, but that means longer. Much longer. Since I know the story, I don't feel like I'm missing anything when I watch the newer, shorter version. And actually, I think that as a film, the 2005 version is far better. It has more life. The cinamatography is absolutely amazing. It's not instantly stunning, but the more I watch it, the more I appriciate the complexity of each shot. I also love the music. It's so perfect for the film. The acting is faultless as well. It was a wonderful cast who excelled at breathing life into their characters. I don't think anyone could have done a better job on a theatrical release of Pride and Prejudice-at least, not one of the same length. It has become my favorite movie. If you haven't seen it, I recomend it. If you have, I still recomend it!
5 comments:
oooh, I will have to watch it
Yay!! Welcome to the wonderful world of Jane Austen!!! She is my all-time favorite author and I LOVE that movie. I agree--it's wonderful to have a beautiful, incredibly romantic shorter version to watch in one sitting (though I do love the A&E version, too). Which book is your favorite?
Saskia-I hope you like it!
Heidi-Thanks! :) I've really enjoyed getting to know her as an author. It's hard for me to pick a favorite, but my top three are P&P, Sense and Sensability, and Emma, with an honorable mention to Mansfield Park. Really, I've enjoyed all her novels though.
I had room mates who were obsessed with the A&E version, so I've seen it several times. But I haven't seen that shorter one. Although I've seen many other Jane Austin movies, I've yet to read any of the books.
*Sigh* Kara darling you have stolen my heart. I LOVE THIS MOVIE! love it love it love it. Okay but I do have two problems with it. Caroline Bingley (sp?) didn't flesh out as well for me in this version. In the other one she is so SNOBBY I mean you just look at her. I think the actress in this is too pretty to come off as truely snobby you know? Mr. Wickem (sp?) is my other problem, I didn't get the charisma from him that I got from the colin firth version. *sigh* my thoughts of course. OF course I thought all other actors/actresses where A FREAKING MAZING. I loved Donald Sutherland! How great was he??? Hummm maybe I should see them both again *evil laugh* waaaa ha ha ha Just to be sure of my opinions of course!
Post a Comment