Thursday, April 17, 2008

Walk through the desert

Leonora and I went for a walk this week. It was HOT! I'm dreading it getting hotter, which of course, it will! Since our walk, we've had a wind storm come through and cool us off. It's been nice. While we were on our walk, I took some pictures of some of our desert flowers that are blooming. When I went to Las Vegas a couple of weeks ago, there were all kinds of flowers blooming along the freeway. It was so pretty! I haven't been able to find quite as much diversity or quantity of flowers here, but here are a few that I found.
This was our first find. It's one of the bushes that grows along the river here. Most of them are just green right now. I love the feathery look of these bushes when they bloom.


We had been walking for a bit, and I was anxious to find more flowers. I saw a few along the top of the hill we were walking around, but none of them were close enough for a good picture. When we got to the other side, we were rewarded with these blosoms.



Here's a closer veiw.


As we walked on some more we found these small purple flowers growing out of the loose "red" dirt hillside. On the road to Las Vegas, there were large patches of purple flowers. I assume they are the same kind.



Here are some cute daisy-ish flowers we found. There's a little purple one in there too!



On our way home, we saw these flowers growing on an outcropping of rock.



I hope you enjoyed our little walk! It's certainly not as lush and green here as a lot of places, but it has it's own beauty. Seeing the desert in bloom is one of those things that reminds me of what a miraculous world we live in.


Note: This was my first attempt at trying edit some of my pictures so you could get a better veiw. A camera with more zoom would be better... hopefully they look okay though.

3 comments:

saskia said...

beautiful pictures!

tearese said...

The desert can be very pretty in the spring time, can't it. We used to go treasure hunting and camping with my dad in the desert when I was a kid, so it has a special place in my memories. Except when its too hot!

Kara said...

Thanks Saskia!
Tearese, yes, it can be pretty. The weather has been back and forth a lot this year. It starts feeling warm, and then cools off. It makes me appriciate the cooler days!