Tuesday, July 17, 2007

When lightning strikes

Yesterday was an interesting day. My house has been a disaster, so I thought I should probably start making a dent in it. I can't say that I really did that, but I did get some dishes and laundry done. There's more that needs to be done, but hey, I did something! So, we ran out of milk, and I figured it had been a while since any of us left the house, so I started getting the kids ready to go to the store and maybe run a couple other errands. Just as we were getting ready to head out the door, the power went off. I figured it was just because it's so dang hot here and the power company couldn't keep up with all the air conditioners going. Well, I made sure all the blinds were closed and headed out to the car. It didn't take long to realize that this trip would take a while. The traffic lights were all out, so it was really crazy on the roads. I was glad to be in an air conditioned car though. After spending half an hour at a gas station because it was the only one I could find pumping gas, Aaron called and said he was leaving work early, so we went home. He stopped at the store and got a few snacks for dinner first. A little later, it started raining, so we all went outside with most of our neighbors. It was nice to cool off. The power finally came on around 8:30. It was off for 4 hours at our house. There was a fire that was threatening the main lines into the whole area, so they were shut off to prevent more fire. It made for an interesting evening. I'm going to have to buy milk today.

No comments: